Friday, August 27, 2010

New Year, New Freshmen

by Serena Wells

Think about it ... the first day of something new. It's always an exciting experience, and a frightening experience. It's impossible to know how it's going to play out.

What you will like about it, and what you will hate about it is totally impossible to know, until after it happens. All the students at our high school stand in front of the school waiting for the first bell to ring. Do you remember walking up to that big group of people that you didn't know on your first day? Scary, huh? Maybe you were so excited to start school or maybe you were dreading every second of it.

We've all had that "first day of high school" that every kid wonders about. I talked to some of our freshman this year about how their first day went, and what they are expecting of this year. I talked to three different freshmen, Blade Hall (Mayo), Kayla Foushee (Mayo) and Abe Norman (Crestwood).

"It's hard to explain," said Norman when I asked how he felt about going to the school, "I wasn't nervous but I didn't know what to expect." Kayla told me she was expecting "crazy schedules, and different people." When asked if they like the new school, all three replied yes. Norman said "it's really not much different then what I'm used to, just a lot of different people." When I asked about the lunch and how he felt about what was on the menu, Hall said "I like the pizza on Fridays!"

None of them seemed to have too much to say but that will probably change after our first actual full week of full days. All three seemed excited to see where this year is going to go, and I want to wish all 9f the freshmen the best of luck for their first year.